15 years ago
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Doing Things As A Family
It's time once again to do what I do best on my blog: COMPLAIN! This time it's about a topic that has been on my mind a lot lately. I don't know if it's because the kids are getting old enough to care or that we just are going to have more kids period, but I've been realizing lately how little time we spend together as a family. This has really been bugging me too. Now, I'm all for a little alone time or going on dates with the hubby here and there but for some reason my family just can't seem to get it together enough to go places together let alone spend more than 10 min. in the same room with each other. It's really kind of sad. I know Steve and I are both part of the problem, I'm not blaming either one of us exclusively, I just don't know how to solve the problem. It's like, when Steve is home, he's getting ready for work or doing work stuff or worrying about work stuff. If he feels like he has some down time he wants to play video games. He's a true introvert and homebody and loves nothing more than to be somewhere quiet doing something he enjoys. I don't blame him, really. I, on the other hand, spend my time cleaning or caring for the kids. I take several 10 min. breaks during the day to connect to the outside world through the internet or phone calls. I'm a true extrovert and love to go on dates with my hubby or out with girlfriends. At the end of the day I'm exhausted and either fall asleep, get on the internet or in general Steve and I end up at opposite rooms barely even spending time with each other. We seem ok with this, but lately, especially, I will admit, after reading so many other family's blogs about what they do as a family, I can't help but think we are lacking in the time spent together as a family department. So, be honest friends. how do YOU do family time? Is it something you find that comes natural or do you have to work at setting aside time to do things together? I'm just frustrated and worried that we are all missing out on some quality time together that we are going to end up regretting later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Oh Erin. Please don't think it's only you guys. For us, family time doesn't always just happen - we have to plan it, put it on the calendar, and then be determined to follow through. Life gets busy and unfortunately fun family time is usually what gets forgotten. If you and Steve plan it together and then agree on when it will happen it will be more likely to happen. Reas doesn't much like surprises like, "Let's all go to the park tody!" But if he knows it's coming then it's a lot better.
Quality time=work! I often find it easier to just sit in our opposite corners and count down the minutes to bedtime so I know how you feel. It seems between work, chores and school there is barely enough time to even have dinner together.
It really does take determination and planning to get out together. You can do something as simple as playing a game together like "orange light, white light" hehehe
Wow, I can't even tell you how much I relate to this post! I love going out and doing things altogether but by the time Tyler gets home he just wants to sit and do nothing to relax. I'll do anything if it means getting out of the house as a family so when you find a good solution, let me know!
Our family time together consists of watching TV or movies together because it's something we all enjoy doing together. We have always paid for some sort of cable TV because it's what we enjoy doing together.
We also run errands together. I HATE shopping and most of the time I will not do it. So Costco is usually a family affair. Today we went to Borders and then to Best Buy so Heath could spend his birthday money.
I know how you feel. I feel sad when I hear about other families going on fun trips together or doing fun things like that. We just veg together and run errands together.
Our bishop just challenged our ward to do one family activity a week, not a day! i felt a lot better knowing that we should just fit in one a week. we try to fit in more, but, sometimes i'm just so dang tired come evening that mario cart becomes our family time. so, in the words of our bishop, try for that one activity a week as a goal.
Post a Comment