Sunday, May 10, 2009

Soccer for Beginners


We're not a sporting family. Let me get that out into the open right away. Sure, Steve likes to watch his sports on tv, but as for actually playing any, um, nope. But, in the name of trying new things and expanding young minds ect. I asked Evan this year if he wanted to take swimming lessons (we've done a few sessions in the past). Seeing as how lately, I can only get the kid to take a bath like once a week, I wasn't surprised to get a no on that one. However, when I mentioned he could do something else instead this spring (with a newborn, fall activities are not on my to do list this year) like soccer. He immediately said yes. I asked him several times after that to make sure he really wanted to try soccer (I wasn't even sure if he knew what soccer was exactly, his only exposure being a few of his cousin Alex's soccer games we had been to in the past) and I kept getting a yes, so I took a deep breath and signed him up.

Evan is like me, he doesn't warm quickly to new things. I was afraid after one soccer practice he would refuse to ever go again. However, despite some protests because of wind and cold (cannot blame him though!) he has been pretty agreeable about the whole thing. I'm still pretty sure he doesn't really understand the game yet, but that's ok with me, I just want him to run around and have fun.

We had his third soccer game this past Saturday. The weather was the nicest it had been yet, which really helped. Evan even kicked the ball a couple of times during the game (see video: I especially love how at the end he runs off the field immediately to tell me he kicked the ball!). At any rate, it's kind of amazing too to see how good some of these four year olds already are at soccer. I wonder how much is natural ability versus how much their parents practice with them. Evan is at a disadvantage there, we don't practice and I'm afraid there's not a lot of natural sports ability to be had in our family. But like I said, it's been a pretty good experience so far and even Justin has been a good sport at the games.





Evan running around and having fun

Justin concentrating on the game

Evan close to the ball

An endless supply of snacks kept Justin happy


2 comments:

April said...

That is seriously cute. "Mom, I kicked the ball!" Hilarious!

The Conductor said...

I like that you are the non-pushy-but-highly-encouraging-and-supportive type of parents. That's a tough balance sometimes...especially when my kids keep saying NO to every activity/sport I offer them... Evan is so cute!