I went and saw Twilight today with my husband, sister and her husband. I wasn't expecting great things, but I was expecting better than what I saw. It's funny how everyone interprets things differently--I thought Edward was almost painful to watch, with his grimacing expressions and the feeling like it was hurting him to talk (I was screaming inside for him to just get it out and talk like a normal person!!) and my sister said she actually liked the movie better than the book because it cut out the endless talk of how beautiful Edward was, you could just look at him. On a different note, I was glad my hubby went with me but was afraid he'd find much in the movie to make fun of, however, I was the one finding lots of things that were making me giggle and squirm. How about that they filmed half of the movie 2 inches from Edward and Bella's faces?! Geesh! And the special effects were of the made for tv movie quality (example: Edward climbing trees...). On a positive note, I ended up liking Bella's performance. I wasn't happy with who they picked to play Bella at first (I guess in my mind I was imagining more of a Rory from Gilmore Girls type) but when I saw her in the movie I decided she hit Bella dead on.
One last thing on Edward that made watching him awkward: He lives in my ward and his name is Arthur. Yes, awhile back Arthur was Edward for the release party for Breaking Dawn at Barnes and Noble and seeing Robert Pattinson's onscreen performance suddenly seemed uncannily similar to seeing Arthur at Barnes and Noble. I swear they even talk the same. Here's some pictures that prove the weird similarity:
15 years ago



7 comments:
So true about Arthur and Edward! Amy said teh same thing when we came out of the movie! I thought they did a pretty good job I'm not a fan of the actor they picked for Edward but that's okay. It's true about the pained face-it looked like he was trying to hold in a fart most the time! Can't have a handsome vampire farting..it kinda kills the mood, right? HAHAHA
I did like the movie better than the book. I thought Edward was a hottie, even if he didn't talk like a normal person. His good looks weren't enough to carry the movie through for me tho. As much as we were bugged by the movie, Erin, you know that we'll go to the next movie installment! next time we should probably leave our husbands at home tho lol
I hadn't seen Arthur as Edward yet...that is pretty weird how much they look alike! I agree with you about how poor the movie was made. I did, however, come out with opposite opinions on the actors they chose. Robert Pattinson grew on me and I was a definite fan by the end...I thought he did a great job. Kristen Stewart, on the other hand, drove me crazy. I thought she did alright, but I think they could have gotten someone better. I completely agree about the special effects - I was cracking up the whole time. And the closeups on everyone were great! What did you think about Carlisle - I about lost it when he came out. I was mainly disappointed in the development of the story at the beginning. I thought they fell in-love too quickly - we didn't get to see the progression of it. It was like, BAM, I love you, let's make out. :) K, so this is a novel, but I wanted to share my opinion. :)
My biggest discrepancy with the movie is that for some reason I thought that Rosalie was supposed to be drop dead gorgeous. She was pretty in the movie, but i thought Victoria was waaay hotter. And I thought that in the book Victoria was supposed to be quite wild looking, with twigs in her hair and all.
I don't really care if it was good or not, do you know how long it has been since i was actually able to see a movie in the theater? TOO LONG!
So funny. I don't think that Arthur could EVER be Edward. I did go see the movie again with my little sis, and I did have to fight back the laughter every now and again. But I figure they didn't have a huge budget to work with, and they will only get better.
Did you go to Barnes and Noble when arthur was there??? I saw Arthur on a friend of a friends facebook, cruising around pictures one day & I almost DIED!
I SWEAR I am the only one who hasn't seen it YET!!
So, apparently I'm in the minority here, but I loved the movie. Really I did - seen it twice, and would love to go again. Yes, Edward did take a while to grow on me (his hair alone took some getting used to), thought Bella did wonderfully, and all the Cullen's were dead on -except Rosalie who wasn't nearly as pretty as she could have been and her tooshie was way too big, but all in all thought it was lots of fun. And we all know that a movie is never as good as the book. Guess I'm just easy to please, but I can't wait for the next one!
Post a Comment