Yes, my dear sister Jenn did hit me in the face with a shovel, really, but luckily I was young and healed quickly. You just have to realize, there were many perils associated with living in the country. We were always stepping on bees or rusty nails (that was my dad), getting poison ivy, or having sledding accidents. It just came with the territory.
This one particular day, my sister and I happened to be outside with my mom. I don't remember what we were doing exactly, but my sister for some reason had a full sized shovel and was swinging it around. I think I was about 4 or 5 so that would have made her 7 or 8. Anyways, my mom, of course, saw the danger in this and said "Jenn, put that shovel down before you hit someone!" What happened next is classic. Jenn whirls around with the shovel saying "what?" and hits me right in the face. She chipped my front tooth and gave me a bloody nose. At least it was an accident right? No worries Jenn! I love you despite indenting my face with a shovel!!
Every fall my dad would buy lots and lots of bales of hay. I think he used the straw to put on all of his garden beds for the winter. Jenn and I loved the bails of hay because Dad would make us a big fort/house out of them and we would then proceed to climb all over them to our heart's content. The only downside was that, inevitably, afterwards Jenn and I would then come down with a bad case of poison ivy. Why, knowing this, we still proceeded every year to play on the bales of hay, I'll never know (love of fun over common sense? a popular childhood malady). Plus, my mom then had to put up with 2 itchy, screaming kids (I know she stocked up on poison ivy spray every year for this purpose). Wow, we have a nice Mom.
15 years ago

10 comments:
One time, Steven was playing around (he was probably 17 or 18, I was 10 or 11) and he threw and ice cube at me and hit me in the eye, and it totally split my eyelid open! Oddly enough, my Mom put ice on it to make it feel better).
*gasp* Erin, I can't believe you told that particular story!! LOL good thing you forgave me hehe
those bales of hay were the best!! not only did i get poison ivy, but i was also allergic to the hay, so double the rash for me. Mom really did love us--or maybe the free time she got from letting us play in the hay bales outweighed the rashes we got....
You make me laugh! I love your stories!
I love reading your childhood stories--keep it up! Remember when we used to make rollercoasters for my little sisters or the time Barb and her friends (probably including Jenn) put weird stuff in our hair while we were having a sleepover?
You are so funny!
kathleen! thanks for reminding me of all those great memories i have from spending tons of time at your house! i totally remember making theme park rides for your little sisters and having sleepovers where we got toilet papered and what not by our sisters. lol! good times! i'll definitely have to dedicate a chapter in my story to the hours i spent at your house :)
wha? not me, Kathleen muhahahaha just kidding--i can remember doing stuff to you guys--we couldn't help it. you and erin fell asleep so early.....
Awesome! I love all your childhood stories, short & sweet and as always a good read!! :) Hahahaha
Steve's mom/dad tell a story about him when he was little and was angry at someone in the neighborhood & chased them down the street with a shovel! :) kids & shovels...its just a good combo! Hahahahaahah
Hey, now I am paranoid and setting my blog to private. :) Send me your email address at mommymeliss@gmail.com and I'll invite you.
So I guess you could say, I'm a bit slow... I had no idea you had a blog up and running. Wow, where have I been? I've thought for months, I wish Erin had a blog. Whatdya know!! Glad I found you on Laurie's side bar.
Post a Comment