Saturday, November 29, 2008

5K-Way!

I finally gave in on the Monday before the race, stopped fighting all my self doubts and just mailed in the dang registration. It was a relief actually. And then, the day before, I tried to do 3 miles on the treadmill just so I would know I could do it (I did Sherry's secret formula of jog for 3 min. then walk for 1 min (or 2 min in my case :)). I ran out of time, but I did get to 2.7miles, enough to give me confidence.
So, at 7am Thanksgiving morning, Mindi and some other crazies from the ward (Alison, Fred, their Uncle, and Amy) came and picked me up and off we went to Draper. It was about 40 degrees and lightly raining. About 1700 other people were milling around when we got to the outlet mall. It was a little unreal that that many people (including lots of kids in jogging strollers!) were all willing to race this early in the morning.
I didn't run with anybody, I didn't hardly look at anyone I was concentrating so hard on keeping my pace. (Though, I did notice when 4 year olds would pass me by...). About mile 2 Fred passed me by and it started raining pretty good. But I got through it and did the race in about 38 min (that's the official time on the website, but I clocked myself at 35 min--so maybe they counted the time I had to stand in line before I turned in my racing slip?). I was proud of myself and hot and wet and tired. And had the even crazier notion that I'd do it all again next year. lol.
As a sidenote, running this race did give me hope that one day I will be in shape again. I was in great shape before I had Evan, but since having kids I've let eating habits slide and kept on these extra 15-20 pounds that really feel like they are weighing me down lately. So, after doing this race, it makes me think I can do other things too, like feel proud of my body again :)
sorry, no pics of the race here (check out mindi's blog)
but this was me 1 month before I got prego with Evan, not bad eh? someday...someday...

2 comments:

Sass said...

that is so awesome. I don't think I would have finished at all!! So good JOB! I don't know if I would ever enter a race, I really hate running & it hates me too!! hahah

Porsche said...

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! That picture makes me laugh sooo hard! Who si that awesome gal in the picture with you?!?!?! :)

Good job on just doing it! I'm proud of you! See, not so bad. Next year, come pick me up and I'll run it with you!