Friday, November 14, 2008

Exercise: It's Either Going to Help Me or Kill Me

You may remember my previous post from a way long time ago about me doing a program called "From Couch to 5K". Just so you know, I didn't do it for 2 weeks and quit and then forget all about it! I actually did it for 4 weeks and then quit. However! I did not forget all about it--after about a month, I picked it up again and am currently on week 6 of the 8 week program (I'm actually in week 7 but am repeating week 6's routine because of some reasons I will explain shortly). So, week 6 goes something like this: 5 min. warm up walk, jog 5 min., walk 3 min., jog 8 min., walk 3 min., jog 5 min. And I'm no speed demon--I walk at 3.3 mph and jog at 4.3 mph. But every time, my body rebels and reminds me of me so not having a runner's body. I just about die doing this week 6 routine! Which, is why I'm repeating it. Another problem, at the speeds I'm going, when I'm done, I'm still a mile short of the 3 miles I need! There's no way, at this point, my body is capable of going any faster (I tried) and even at the speeds I'm going, I'm already in need of borrowing Richard Simmons' sweatband!! I can't imagine working out harder and producing even more sweat than I already do in a half hour's time. Now, some of this sweat is paying off, I've lost 5 lbs and my spare tire is slowly, ever so slowly, shrinking. But, my eating habits are holding me back too. I exercise and then think I should reward myself with a quarter pounder or a pint of ice cream. Yeah, a little counter-productive...Anyways, I keep waffling on actually doing that 5K Thanksgiving morning. I just don't think I'm ready for it. Hmm, will I ever be though??

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I think you are doing awesome...keep it up! I'm sure you can do the Thanksgiving 5k. I'm so proud (and just a bit jealous :) Good work, Erin.

mintifresh said...

Go! Go! Go! You can do it! I definately don't have a runner's body but I can do it which means ANYBODY can do it!!! It's okay to walk part of a 5k if you need to! Don't try to go at anyone's pace but your own! Great job on the 5lbs! Like I said, Go! Go! Go!

robin said...

uck. exercising. good luck with that! i need a little motivation in that area. okay, well, a lot of motivation.