Monday, June 8, 2009

Family Scripture Study--Act I Scene I

The Scene: Just after dinner, the family is gathered around the table

Steve: setting scriptures down-Ok, let's read!
Evan immediately stands up on the bench and walks a little ways, bumping his glass of milk and spilling it everywhere.
Steve: ACK! Evan just spilled his milk and his glass was full!
Me: huh? It was full, are you kidding me?
grumpily I get up and investigate the damage and try not to yell at Evan.
Me: yelling at Evan-
Evan! You better come help clean this up!!!
Evan: NO!!
Me: Then I don't want to look at you!!
Evan runs into the other room screaming and crying
Me:
Was that too harsh Steve?
I go and comfort Evan while Steve finishes cleaning up the mess.
Me:
Weren't we supposed to be reading scriptures or something?
Steve: Yep, we're on Nephi chapter 1
Steve starts to read
Justin can suddenly be heard screeching from the other room. He's still stuck in his high chair due to the fact he refused to eat anything but pickles for dinner. I go into the dining room to retrieve him. He keeps signing for more pickles...
Me:
ACK! Justin is all wet!!! His diaper must have leaked!
I drag Justin into the room where Steve is reading and try to change him while being spiritually enlightened. Justin keeps crying and crawling away. Steve puts the scriptures down and helps me change Justin.
Steve:
ok, back to Nephi...
We're all on the couch now, Steve is reading, I'm listening and the kids are crawling all over me. Suddenly Evan starts wacking me and Justin with pillows and his blankets.
Me:
Stop that Evan!!!
Evan: Just one more time!
Evan hits me again with a pillow.
Evan:
Just one more time!
Evan hits me again with a pillow.
Me:
EVAN! I SAID STOP!!!
Steve closes the scriptures.
Steve:
ok! we're done with chapter 1!
Me: wow, I can't wait till tomorrow so we can do this all again!

5 comments:

mintifresh said...

Family time=fun time!

Jenn said...

that was hilarious!! i can't wait to read act 2. ok, so it prolly wasn't hilarious while it has happening, but it was great to read. don't get discouraged!! maybe tonight you should read and have Steve monitor the kids hehehe

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Sounds like a typical family with young kids! Try a few different things to maybe get your kids ready to be there and see if that helps. Also, feel free to only read a verse or two if that's all your kids have the attention for. They are still young so don't expect too much. Kudos to you and Steve for doing family scripture study!

Melissa said...

Fabulous! At least you're trying-that puts you on a higher level than us! :)

The Conductor said...

Erin! That was MY family's play -- you stole our script! (Except I am the one who usually reads, er, repeats the same phrase over and over because no one is listening until I finally give up, slam the scriptures down, and say a few swear words on my way to bed. Okay, well, not the last couple things.)

I almost hate to tell you how much I LOVE hearing that other families have scripture time that turns out like this. On a regular basis. (At least, it is for us.) The one good thing is that it's either getting slightly better, or I'm getting more accustomed to the chaos because now that I step back to think about it, I really do enjoy family scripture study a lot more now than I did just a year ago. (We still only read between 1-5 verses a night, on average! But the highlight is when one of the kids will beg for more. Not often...but Garrett loved those war chapters!)