Friday, July 25, 2008

Things That "Matter"

There are certain daily things that I do that matter to me and that I take pride in--like trying to make sure the kitchen is clean before I go to bed, having a half way decent garden, writing thank you notes for gifts received (sorry to anyone I may have missed though!!), making a meal that turns out well etc. Then there are the things that I am destined never to do well no matter how hard I try so I've given up caring about them. For instance--folding clothes neatly, shuffling a deck of cards, being able to parallel park, or being able to roundbrush my hair and hold the hair dryer at the same time. However, when you get married, you quickly figure out the little things that your spouse does well. And if you don't happen to excel at the skill then you feel sorry for your spouse who is doomed to forever try to help you. For Steve and I, it was making the bed. The man can make a perfect bed in 10 seconds flat. Like he's been in the military or something. As for me, I can take 10 min. trying to smooth covers and arrange pillows and still only have it come out looking half as good as Steve's made bed. Now, Steve has tried to teach me his bedmaking skills, but like I say, there's just some things I'm doomed never to do well and I'm afraid that's one of them. I was born without the neat bedmaking gene. I will have to take some pics to show everyone because I'm not exaggerating! I guess that's why marriage is all about balancing out your strengths and weaknesses with each other!

2 comments:

robin said...

that's great. you're very clever! i love your blog . . .

josh is way better than me at a lot of things. but one thing i am better at . . . estimating time and temperatures. he's no good at that.

Janis said...

Hi Erin, I love your blog. Evan is all grown up and your new son looks like him. So true about our strengths and weaknesses. Dave is a wizz at washing dishes. That is his talent. He has now clue how to make a quilt.... so there you go. Keep up your blogging. Jan Shipley