Monday, December 6, 2010

Random Is As Random Does

When I was working at the library tonight in the backroom with another gal, she came over to her stack of stuff she had left behind and commented on how she can't seem to stick to one thing and get it done and then move on to the next thing. She said she was just flitting around tonight from one thing to the next, forgetting about other things she had started doing. I just laughed and told her she pretty much just described my every day life. I feel scatterbrained all the time, forgetting what I'm "supposed" to be working on, always telling the kids to remind me if they want something because maybe on the 4th time they ask for a cup of juice I'll remember that I was on my way to the fridge to get it. I wonder if it's just "mom brain" or if I've really just gone crazy sometimes! I always seem to be on my way to doing something only to end up doing 5 other things before I get that one thing accomplished. Example: I start making muffins only to realize I need to empty the dishwasher first only to remember I need to call the scouts to remind them of den meeting only to realize I forgot to email my visiting teaching report only to discover I can't find a coupon I wanted to use tomorrow when I go grocery shopping only to not be able to not find the grocery list I need for tomorrow while making Justin some lunch and getting some toys for Owen, wait! wasn't I making muffins???
My mom told me today when she comes over she doesn't dwell or even notice the piles of dirt and clutter that may be eyesores to me. (probably the sweetest thing said to me all day! sniff!) She said to just do what I can and enjoy my kids basically. I thought about that tonight when things were slow at the library. How I think I need to remember that everything I do should be based on love. Love of my family. Am I bugged about the dirty dishes because I love my family or because I take pride in keeping the kitchen clean? I guess what I'm saying is I'd like to remember that if it comes down to giving love and time to my children versus letting my messy room remain messy for another day (or two, or three...) then I should choose my family. I guess it's something we probably all realize, but I think I needed the reminder today :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

A reminder we all need...