As mothers especially, we need personal inspiration, but more importantly, our children need it too! Not only to see us handling every day life with the guidance of the Spirit, but also in turn, teaching them how to use it too. If we don't show them the way, how will we expect them to learn on their own how the Holy Ghost speaks to them? Another quote" In today’s world we must provide quiet, reflective times for our children and teach them how to listen to the still, small voice. With all the blessings our modern age has given to us, let us not give up the things that promote the workings of the Holy Ghost: time alone to pray, ponder, meditate, and read the scriptures; and time with family undisturbed by noise, distractions, and too many activities."
I keep hearing lately about overscheduling our kids' days and their over use of media. Those things rob us of our time with our kids and lessens their opportunity to listen to our Father in Heaven. I know I am guilty of these things! I let my kids play as many video and computer games and watch as much tv as they want in the name of trying to clean up, get dinner made, do the laundry or I just plain don't have the energy to play with them. Yet I know I'm not doing them any favors. I keep hearing too about how the greatest gift you can give your kids is your time. I try to remember that when a child is bugging me for the 5th time about something while I'm trying to unload the dishwasher! Once again, those little things add up..
A final quote from Conference"We live in a wonderful day of opportunity, learning, and prosperity. But with these wonders come also the degrading deceits of the adversary, trying to push their way into the fabric of our lives, even attempting to burrow into the safe refuge of our homes. If we will receive the Holy Ghost as our guide and be wise in knowing, guarding, and building upon this gift, we will not be deceived. And as evil increases in the world, there will be a compensating power of the gift of the Holy Ghost for the righteous."
15 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment