I'm doing both of these posts in the same day because I believe that handling the small things in an inspired and wise way requires not only the Spirit for guidance, but also the desire for more self control on my part. I did an experiment yesterday. I decided that instead of getting angry instantly at every little annoying or frustrating thing my children did, I would do everything in my power not to lose my cool. I prepared myself mentally for this challenge and remembered to do my breathe easy exercises when things felt particularly stressful. I also decided to remember to see the humor in things and not take my childrens' actions as personal attacks on me. I figured by the end of the day, if I really could not lose my self control, I would be totally exhausted! And oh what a day! All my children were being challenging, I did not think I was going to get through the day without losing it. However, I somehow managed to survive until bedtime and the amazing thing that I discovered was that I was NOT exhausted! I didn't feel drained! I could not believe that keeping my cool expended less energy than not getting mad and frustrated at every little thing. That outcome had never occurred to me! So what a lesson in what concentrating on how I'm going to act on a daily basis when things happen and making that decision beforehand on how I would handle things can make such a difference.
I really appreciated Carrie's comment in my original post, (I hope she doesn't mind me quoting her): "I want my kids to be happy and to be able to laugh and smile even in not so funny circumstances. And you're right, it is a whole lot of little things that all add up to make a life. So the little things can't bring us down so easily." Carrie's comment made me realize that I need to remember I'm setting the example for my children in how to handle every day life. If they see me get frustrated at every little thing and not deal with it well, how can I expect them to cope any better than me? It made me realize that when the little things in my childrens' every day life add up at the end of the day, I want them to add up to happy :)
14 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment