Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Odd One Out

"One of these things is not like the other," a popular song and catch phrase, does tend to ring true when it comes to that one person in the group who just doesn't quite belong, or that one skinny sister who it's not fair got that kind of body and I'm realizing, it can also apply to things in nature. Take, for instance, my tomato plant. I was excited when my dad brought over two tomato plants, already large in size, a few months ago. I grew even more excited when it bloomed early and started growing tomatoes. However, I soon realized, despite having several normal specimens developing, one of the plants was capable of producing this big guy:
yes, my very own mutant tomato. It's huge and bumpy and I blame its unusual looks on climate change. Or the inversion. Or Mindi's diet coke addiction. I don't know, really, I'm just wondering, anyone out there really want to eat Mr. Lumpy when he's finally ripe? Hmm??

6 comments:

The Piquant Storyteller said...

That's kind of weird! But I love how you blame it on Mindi's Diet Coke addiction.

Melissa said...

When I first saw that, I thought it was a pepper :)

Jenn said...

i think you should experiment--feed it to the kids and see what happens.

mintifresh said...

You leave my addiction out of this!

Krista S said...

Well, I'm just impressed that you were able to grow anything....mutant or not. I kill any plant that comes my way so way to go!!!

Sass said...

I am with Krista, at least you are growing things and able to eat them! Man, I really want a garden...but we struggle to keep the grass alive! Maybe if Mindi would STOP dumping her diet coke on my grass!! Geeze!
Hahahaha