Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Story of My Life Part 2: Animals, Animals and More Animals

As I mentioned in Part 1, we had a lot of pets. I think one of the requirements to live in rural Ohio must have been the number of animals you must have, I think it's something like 20. Hehehe. Our main pets were our cat Snowy Anne (who had a litter of kittens pretty much every year. Though Mom and Dad were very diligent about us finding homes for the offspring. ), our dogs Angel (the nicest mutt ever) and Sheena (a collie) and later our toy poodle Peaches and another mutt named Liz. Then there were the rabbits. We had silver martins in the beginning then later added Lops and Netherland Dwarfs. And of course, there were the wild animals. We'd pretty much adopt anything we came across--mice, orphaned baby birds, frogs, and one time, a garter snake. My mom was pretty tolerant when it came to all these pets, but the funny thing was, the toy poodle was our only indoor pet. That was, until....the snake! How we ever convinced our mother to let us bring that reptile into the house, I'll never know, but she did. We put that snake in an old aquarium in our bedroom. Now, my mom would come and check on us at night, and apparently she checked on our friend the snake as well, because one night Mom woke us all up in an uproar: the snake was gone! So, Mom was pretty freaked out thinking this snake was roaming around our house somewhere, so she vowed we could not go back to sleep till it was found. Come to find out, the snake hadn't gone far, it apparently had abandoned the comforts of the aquarium for the comforts of the kleenex box that was on top of the aquarium to keep the lid on. It was asleep on the tissues. Well, needless to say, that poor snake was booted out of it's bed and sent out into the cold night. But the rest of us slept pretty good after that :)

4 comments:

mintifresh said...

I didn't really have pets growing up, well, a parakeet and numerous fish that died. I want that kind of life-a ton a animals on a big property but the thing that gets me every time is the poop! I deal with enough poop-its holding me back. I wasn't scarred for not having pets so I think my kids will be alright. Maybe some day....

Sass said...

snakes? YUCK! hahahahaha
Me and my little brother use to collect grasshoppers during the summer. And all sorts of insects and frogs on vacation growing up. But pet wise, my parents didn't like pets. we had 1 turtle, but it actually ran away. Then we had a fish & 1 last turtle. That was IT! So how come you guys don't have a dog or animal? Or DO you?

Fulkerson Clan said...

i'm sorry to say, now that i'm a grown up i do not like pets. it's just one more thing to care for and i can barely manage the feeding, bathing and entertainment of two children. so no fears about me holding out on you when it comes to pets, i swear there are no animals hiding out in the backyard!

Amy said...

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/10/monster-munch.html

I hope you get this. I don't have your e-mail addie handy.