Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Watcha Got to Hide?

Cassie and I talked about this phenomenon the other day: the "hiding" of the packages with the doormat. So I avowed that the next time the ups man came by and ever so thoughtfully draped my welcome mat over some boxes I would snap some pics. Seriously, this camouflage is not fooling anyone, so why do they do it? Did the delivery guys have to take "Draping Doormats 101" in delivery school or something? Is it an ancient art form that I am unfit to appreciate? My favorite was once, a stack of boxes 4 or 5 high with my doormat perched on top. It looked like the cherry on top, not a cloaking device! So, maybe I'm being too hard on the delivery guys, after all they are in a hurry, and I am amazed at their ability to ring my doorbell and be in their truck when I open the door two seconds later thinking they will still be there so I can take the packages from them rather than scoot around my front door to wrestle them into the house myself. But, I digress, I will give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to kindness, but if any delivery guys who come to my neighborhood happen to read this, I just want to let you know, you can save yourself a second and just leave this girl's doormat alone. Thanks!

10 comments:

Jenn said...

Gosh, Erin, I feel jipped! I've never once had the ups guy drape my doormat over my packages. Do I have a lesser doormat than you? is it time for me to upgrade? Next time you come over, you'll have to give me your opinion. Or, maybe, my ups guy doesn't like me and so i don't get the honor.....

mintifresh said...

I've always wondered about that! I can't believe they actually did that on 4 or 5 boxes! Thank you for the laugh!

Amy said...

I'm with Jenn, they never touch my doormat! Maybe you should get one of those really thick, scruffy doormats, maybe then they'll leave it alone!

Krista S said...

That is too funny. i always wonder the same thing. In fact, I don't even think the UPS guy rings my doorbell to let me know he's hidden my package under my mat. Usually I am backing out of my driveway and look up to my porch and wonder why is my doormat suspended into the air? My favorite was once I saw them deliver a huge box to McKenzie's house...I swear it was a big screen TV or something cause it was a ginormous box....anyway, they put her mat right on top of it and I thought to myself, well if someone was thinking of stealing that, surely they will be fooled by the great cover up UPS did with hiding it under her door mat. It cracks me up!!

Kathleen said...

My UPS guy does exactly the same thing. I think we once got a package stolen off the front porch so we submitted a request to have packages left on the back porch and we have yet to receive a package on the back porch. Does your UPS guy knock really loudly before he runs to his truck?

The Piquant Storyteller said...

I think it's a Utah thing. They used to do that to me in Utah but not now that I live in CA. I have a long porch so sometimes the packages are on the far end. That hides it better than a doormat!

robin said...

so true, so true . . .

hilarious.

Sass said...

Haahahahahahahahah Erin I love it! We use to get packages all the time, like you do & I am glad we don't...but I do miss the mat being draped! But last night we were pulling in and I said look Steve we got a package. And he said how do you know? I said well the mat is vertical! I have never seen any other mats draped on boxes.....I bet it is just our UPS guy. He is very particular in "hiding" our precious packages for us, so sweet! :) But honeslty, I am all for the drapeageness.....
we once found a box that had beendelivered weeks before, it was on the side of our house, behind the garbage cans! Itwas all wet and nasty! Yuck! So thank you Mr UPS man & your mad skills with our doormats!! :P

Amy said...

I feel I need to retract my earlier statement. Yesterday I got a package and the UPS guy draped my doormat! This is a first! I think he is new... I don't think he has delivered to me before. But really, who do they think they are fooling? Draping the doormat looks more obvious then not draping. My house is tan, a cardboard box is just going to blend in the with the siding for heaven sake!

Porsche said...

I have never even heard of such a thing! BWAHAHAHAHA! Oooh, really good cover up!