Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Secret Weapon

I know this isn't the post you've all been waiting for (you're like--what's up with all the pumpkins and a secret weapon? wah?) , but I promise the one where I talk about Justin's 1st b-day is next. I just had to do this post first because, without what I am about to talk about, Justin's party would not have been possible. The secret weapon I am talking about is a woman who saved me a lot of grief and stress over what to do for Justin's 1st b-day and was none other than the domestic goddess herself (dgoddessblog.blogspot.com)! What started out as a shot in the dark in the form of an email tentatively asking if she had any ideas turned into her becoming my very own personal party planner. seriously, how have I lived without this woman and her ideas for so long? She is creativity incarnate and she volunteered lots of time and energy on my behalf (and justin's too of course!). She made these uber cute invitations that had "hooray for J" on the front (a lot of you will know what I'm talking about since you probably got one in the mail. sorry people, the secret is out, I didn't make them!) and she also made Justin a happy birthday banner:
She also made a take home favor for the kids and gave me an awesome idea for a treasure hunt that the kids LOVED (my 4 year old is already planning one for his b-day!). She also called around to find me the best deal on sandwhiches and balloons and came up with the color scheme of light blue and brown that looked great. My party planner also had connections in the form of a cousin, Katie, who made Justin the sweetest little cake:

Not to mention she also got the cousin to hook me up with some cupcakes that I decorated with light blue M&Ms "J"s (also her idea :):

My party planner also emailed detailed instructions on how to make my own veggie and fruit trays which turned out rather beautiful if I do say so myself!:I'm so glad I sent that email out, I never dreamed I'd have so much help! Having the Domestic Goddess on my side truly made all the difference in how Justin's 1st b-day turned out. She's the best party planner ever and she has my eternal gratitude :)

7 comments:

Kathleen said...

Wow, fun! I have yet to throw a big birthday party for my kids, but since my kids have started getting more and more birthday invites, it's time. I am brainstorming ideas for Charlotte's 3rd B-day in December--I want details on the treasure hunt--I think I want lots of little games so it's fun for kids without getting a bunch of toys out.

The Piquant Storyteller said...

It looks like a great party. I'm all about secret weapons!

Krista S said...

I'm so glad his party turned out nice for you. My cousin is AMAZING!! I'm just jealous that I don't need a party planned anytime soon so I can use her:)!! Super cute!!

Amy said...

Happy B-day Justin! I can't believe it has been one year!

Sass said...

That new picture of Justin as the birthday boy looks JUST like EVAN!! holy cow!!

Sass said...

Wait, so you emaied Krista's cousin the domestic goddess?? Or is this someone else?! And did she do all of this for free or what?! What is totally awesome, I had no idea!! Looks like Justin had a great 1st birthday how fun!! :)

D. Goddess said...

You are the best! My very own post. I had sooooo much fun helping you out. Just wish I hadn't been out of town for the big event. When are we going to plan your birthday party???