Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Justin's Skin Issues: An Update

For those of you who didn't notice, or didn't already know, Justin's got skin problems. It's funny how, with Evan, we were soooo careful. Used only Dreft to wash his clothes, lotioned his skin religiously after baths, used special fragrance free/organic soap at bathtime ect. And Evan's skin was fine. Then along comes Justin, poor kid, no special soaps, he gets his clothes washed in regular ol' detergent, and lotion after baths? what's that? Justin doesn't need all that! Evan was fine, we probably didn't have to do all that special stuff after all with him and he probably still would have been fine. Well, apparently, maybe not, maybe we were doing the right thing with Evan and should have done the same with Justin.
At any rate, around June of this year, I noticed these red bumps on and around Justin's knees. Didn't think too much of it, thought they would go away. When they didn't and we went to Justin's 9 month check up I pointed the bumps out to the Doctor. He thought maybe it was this virus babies can get that causes a rash and lasts 5-6 weeks. Hoping the Doctor was right and that it would go away on its own, I did nothing for the following 6 or so weeks. However, the red bumps were spreading! By the beginning of September they were all over his legs and his arms as well. Something was not right! So, back to the Doctor. He says eczema and seborrheic keratosis and recommends I go see a dermatologist. So, today, Justin saw my dermatologist and she said there is more than one kind of eczema and he has atopic dermatitis. I was glad for a more definite diagnosis, but what do we do about it and is this something he's going to have to live with forever? Aparently, yes, but it can be controlled. This is what she said I had to do for the next 10 days. Put cetaphil cleanser on his skin, wait a minute, then put this prescription steroid cream on him 3 times a day. Meanwhile, baths are to be less than 5 min. and i am to use cetaphil cleanser only on him, use only liquid detergent (yes! i went out and bought dreft!), and no dryer sheets. After 10 days we are to come back and see her for step 2 and to see how the steroid cream did. But she said his skin looked very irritated and that it was probably bothering him and the cause of some of his night wakings. Poor Justin! I feel bad now for not getting the dreft and using special stuff like I did with Evan. But what's done is done and I'm just glad he's getting some help now.

2 comments:

Porsche said...

poor second child syndrome! Give him a big hug from me!

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Don't beat yourself up. It probably seems like all the precautions you took with Evan are what kept him from having this issue. But my guess is Justin would have had the problem anyway. At least you know what it is and what to do about it. Sometimes that is the most important part.