14 years ago
Saturday, June 19, 2010
June 1997
So, by the title, you maybe can guess that this post has nothing to do with motherhood. You're shocked, I know. Let's leave the sicknesses, the tantrums, the sleepless nights, the cute baby smiles, the pictures sweetly left underneath my door and the other children related things behind for a moment and think back 13 years ago this month: I was in Europe baby! Every June I get a little nostalgic and like to think about my trip to Russia and Europe that I took with 42 other girls, 3 boys and 3 teachers while I was at Ricks College. I was gone the entire month of June and we first flew to Kiev, Ukraine. We spent 3 days there and then went by cockroach infested train to Moscow. I didn't know another person in my group. There were lots of sisters, moms and daughters, even friends that were together, but I had nobody. And I was experiencing culture shock. Yes, can you say "growing experience"? We stayed with families and got to see how people lived in Kiev, Moscow,and St. Petersburg. In general, it was in tiny old apartments in large concrete apartment buildings. Oh, and did I mention they turn off the hot water in Russia in the summer. Apparently you don't need hot water in the summer time because it's well hot. Uh, huh. But, I digress, St. Petersburg was lovely and I love history and enjoyed all the sites, but I have to admit, I was glad to move on to Europe. By that time, I had made some friends in the group, so I wasn't as lonely. I got to see Belgium, Holland, Italy, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and France. It was a whirlwind tour. Some highlights were our whole group getting stuck in an elevator at the Louvre, 42 girls walking ANYWHERE in Italy (you pretty much have to beat guys off with a stick for whatever reason in that country), and getting filmed by a Korean tv crew in Germany. At that time in my life I was a very picky eater so I only ate fruit and gelato while I was there, oh, and Chinese food (don't ask). I think between the walking EVERYWHERE and eating practically nothing I lost like 10 lbs. When I got home I slept and ate and that was all for 3 days straight. I had a really fantastic time and there's so many places I would love to see again, it's hard to believe that in 13 years I've never gotten a chance to go back. But at least I can say I went once and every June I can get out my memories, dust them off, and remember for awhile while I'm cleaning the kitchen for the 11th time that day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I didn't do anything cool like that when I went to Ricks. :)
FUN! I didn't realize that you did not know anyone in the group!! That is crazy!! I don't think I could have done that "alone"!
I want to visit all those places, someday, someday...I guess when you are a teenage bride, ya miss out on some traveling!!
Post a Comment