14 years ago
Sunday, April 18, 2010
Brothers From the Same Mother?
I've been trying to figure out how to write this post in a way that years from now my children won't read it and be mad at me. But, it's something I think about a lot: how different my 2 oldest boys are. Even when I was pregnant with them, I could tell they were opposites. Even while in the womb, I felt like this almost psychic connection with my oldest, like I just know what he's thinking (probably because we are WAY too much alike!), while, with my middle son, I have no idea what makes him tick and felt no "I can read your mind" connection while I was pregnant (that never worried me by the way, I still feel very connected to him, just in a different way from his brother). I had a very tough delivery with my oldest and it did not get easier from there. He had colic and was a difficult baby for the first few months. His saving grace was that he slept through the night at an early age and has always been a good night sleeper (though nowadays the trick is getting him to GO to sleep, but once he is out, he's out). J's labor was sooo much easier than his brother's and the nurse summed up J's personality before he even came out by saying "he's one happy little guy!" J, as a baby, was what I had dreamed babies to be like before I had my first one: content, fun to play with, just able to hang out with the family and go with the flow. He was a good napper but a horrible night sleeper and he had acid reflux (which thankfully went away at 6 months). As the boys have grown older, these differences have only grown and I seriously wonder how these two boys came from the same parents! Everything that was such a struggle with my oldest has been so much easier with his brother (for instance, getting my oldest to say please and thank you--you'd think I was demanding the moon and then all the sudden in the last week J has started to say them without me even asking him to) and everything that came easily to my oldest has been harder for J (my oldest talked very early and very well while J at 2 and a half is getting speech therapy). Oh, they do have their things in common like both are momma's boys and have had their stages of major separation anxiety, but it makes me wonder if my 3rd boy will be somewhere in the middle of his two polar opposite brothers. So far, I see a little of both boys in my youngest. But what are the siblings like in your house? Are there opposites in every family?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
In every way that my first two children are alike, my third is different. In personality and in looks. I have this unreasonable fear sometimes that they switched the third one at birth and I really hoped my 4th child came out like the 3rd one so that I could get that crazy idea out of my head.
I'm glad you wrote this! Seriously, all my kids are sooo different! (And I really don't think its because 2 are biological and 2 are adopted). Savannah and I are two peas in a pod, think alike, like the same things, etc. Sienna is super social, fun, and a little naughty. Bella just does her own thing, is relatively easy, unless you tell her to do something-then WATCH OUT- a temper tantrum is on the way! Isaiah is so super snuggly, sweet, and just loves to be with people. It is fun to see their little personalities develop, but at the same time so strange to see them SO different!
It is fun to see the differences in the kiddies! I heard recently that we should remember that they are grown spirits in little bodies. I think we are supposed to learn something different from each child because there is nooooo way I could parent each of my children the same way. My oldest is much like me but has her dad's carefree attitude. My middle child is the one I relate to the most. He was my cuddler and soooo sweet but very sensitive so watch out! The youngest is my challenge because he really is nothing at all like me so it is hard to relate at all!
Post a Comment