Monday, March 1, 2010

Changes

I decided to change the heading to my blog because I've noticed a theme evolving in my posts and even though they do tend to be pretty random at times, they mostly revolve around my thoughts on motherhood. Ok, it's more like a public place for me to vent about motherhood, but if you know me at all, you know I can't keep things in. Seriously, I must tell someone else! I did an experiment in high school where I decided that for one day I wasn't going to complain or tell anyone else how I felt. Um, yeah, I was crying by 6th period from keeping it all in! Pathetic, but I do wear my feelings rather openly, so I thought, why not celebrate that and devote this blog (so you've been warned in advance now) to my thoughts and feelings as a mother. Pretty much, being a mom is my life right now so therefore, the choice in subject matter. It would be different if say, I didn't have any kids and was into roller derby, then all my posts could revolve around rollerskating and kicking other girls butts. I'm sure there's a blog about that somewhere out there so you can go look for it if you ever get tired of me talking about babies, vomit, lack of sleep ect. I won't be offended, really, I might just cry though...
On another note, a minor (ok, MAJOR for me) miracle has happened in the last 4 days, and it's called "my baby is finally sleeping"! He turned 6 months old yesterday and for the last 6 months I have been failing utterly at getting that child to take naps or have a bedtime or sleep through the night. My attitude, at the beginning, was that hey, he's my 3rd kid, we'll just let things happen naturally. Um, yeah, big mistake there! What was natural for him seemed to be never sleeping!! So, I tried talking to the doctor, the nurses, letting the baby cry it out, rocking him to sleep, nursing him to sleep ect. Nothing was working and I was desperate, desperate enough to finally check out a sleep book from the library. Gasp! Ok, not a big deal for some, but for some reason, when I read "parenting" books I go a little cuckoo and take what they have to say too literally and seriously. My husband heads for the hills when he seems me reading a book to "help" us out somehow because he knows I will soon be eating, sleeping and spouting that book nonstop. Well, I'm happy to say, that did not happen this time, I've learned, maybe? not to take the book and myself so seriously. At any rate, I chose the Ferber method and it's been working. Owen, for the last 4 days has been napping and going to bed at around 9:30pm and sleeping till 5:30am (when I nurse him) then sleeping again till about 7:30am. I feel like I just may get my life back yet and even be able to vacuum now more than once a month. (wait, did I just admit that?? hahaha!)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Shot! I have that book. I needed it with Evelyn, who would only sleep if she was nursed that way and after nursing for 45 minutes, thought her nap was over. She didn't have a normal nap until she was 7 months old.

My "5"ever Family said...

Vacuuming once a month...remember when we used to share your vacuum? We'd use it and then borrow it back/return it until the next time? That was funny. That was more than a month's time. Funny.