Me: Can we get a minivan?
Steve: Heck no!
However, two weeks before the truck's demise, there was a shocking turn of events. The conversation went like this:
Steve: You were right.
Me: I was? Enlighten me--about what?
Steve: We're going to have to get a minivan next.
Me: *passing out*
10 min time lapse...
Me: Cool!
We've started to do some research on minivans, but honestly, we don't know what we want. So, if any of you minivan owners would like to give your two cents on your buying experience or how you decided on what minivan to get, we would like to hear from you. Right now, I think we've got a few details narrowed down--we'd like a minivan made in the USA that's used and somewhere between $2000 and $6500. And preferably driven by an old couple for the last 8 years that went nowhere and vacuumed it out every week. Hahahaha! Ok people, let the ideas flow, we're listening...
Good bye old friend, sorry to be moving on without ya...
Good bye old friend, sorry to be moving on without ya...

8 comments:
Well we have a Honda Oddsey and we absolutly love it! Its the second one we have owned!! I would not however go to Stockton to malone! We had a horrible experience with them....Ken Garff Honda is much, much better! I would drive any other Minivan! lol Goodluck on your search!
Zach wanted a minivan when I got pregnant with our first child, I was the one who stalled on that idea. When I was pregnant with #3 we decided it was time and he did all the research and before we went out looking my in-laws gave us their van. So I have no advice. I drive an old '95 Ford something or other that is red (perhaps I'd know what it was if we spent time choosing it).
Hey Erin; we have a Ford, but only because it was a hand-me-down. It's had major engine repairs and a transmission replacement. The GMs/Chevys are just as bad for repairs. We would have liked a Sienna or an Odyssey, but they are more money. They're more to fix if something DOES go wrong.
I have several friends with Dodge vans; they seem to be pretty solid mechanically, surprisingly, but they have quirks. One friend had his door indicator break, which meant the van would ding at them constantly whether the door was closed or not.
If you can get one for a good price, the latest MPV from Mazda is a sharp little van. It's smaller than most, so it's a bit more economical than a behemoth like an Odyssey.
So, my research says if money's an issue, get a Chrysler/Dodge, but be prepared for a few quirks. If you can afford it, the Honda or Toyota generally have better reliability. Kia and Hyundai have some decent vans as well, from what I hear, but I have no direct experience with them.
Interesting options might also be the jumbo crossovers like the Pacifica or the Freestyle. I think they're still closer to 10k used, though, depending on the year.
I started with two cents and came out at about a buck fifty. As always, I'm not a professional, but those are my thoughts.
rodan32 is my husband by the way, he knows so much more about cars so I sent him a link to your blog question.
that pic of the truck is priceless Erin! I'll miss seeing steve drive the truck around w/ the gymnastics bumpersticker on it...hehe i figure i'll let you figure out what van to buy for when we finally cave and get one ourselves.
Erin, we have a Honda van and love it! I would suggest getting one that is certified used just in case anything goes wrong on it. Remember our truck problems years ago? We are STILL paying on that although it is long gone. I would NOT suggest going through a used car dealership. Never again!! Anyways, that's my two cents. Hondas all the way!! (better resale value too!)
We bought a used Dodge Caravan after baby #3 arrived, so, about 4 years ago. It has treated us great. (But, we have also been sure to get it serviced on a semi-regular basis, so that could have something to do with it.) Anyway, the purchase made us very happy, in large part because it was very reasonably priced and we paid it off very quickly. Nice feeling. It hasn't been "quirky" in the least, but maybe we got lucky? My parents also have a Dodge Caravan and from what they say, it's been great to them too. That's about all I have for ya!
Okay, I'll add one more thing. We know of at least 2 or 3 friends who bought a Honda Oddysey (this does not refer to Ang) and they were so happy because it was a Honda, it was the coolest, it had automatic everything, and so on. But those vans were priced so much higher than other similar vans of other makes that these couples ended up complaining about how they STILL didn't have their vans paid off yet, one guy had to take extra hours at work to make payments, etc. Obviously this isn't the case for every Honda Oddysey, but I think of these poor (literally?) couples whenever I see those vans!
Yeah, so James and I are completely anti-minivan, so I am no help whatsoever. Everyone keeps telling us we'll need a mini because of the 4th baby, but I just tell them my truck has 6 seats, and that is all we need. And when we do want more(seats NOT babies), we'll get a 7-seater SUV... I just can't do the mini thing... but I hope you guys find something you like. That is the most important thing about any vehicle. Good luck.
Post a Comment