Friday, December 12, 2008

The Story of My Life Part 6: The Move to a Senior Citizen Trailer Court

All good things must come to an end, right? And thus it was with our blissful time in the country. My parents eventually did get worn out from tending their one acre and from driving back and forth into the nearest "big" town, so they decided to move into town and make us city folk. Tiffin isn't a big place, it's got about a population of 18,000 people in it, but out of all the places to live in town, my parents picked a trailer court for people who were over the age of 60 for us to call home. Ok, my parents were in their mid 30s at the time, so how did they get us young people in? They hid us. Just kidding! They bribed the trailer court owner I think. Tee-hee. His name was MJ Brown and he liked money and him and my parents came to an agreement that got us a nice blue double-wide. Now, you have to understand something about Ohio, there are trailer courts everywhere, but they are much nicer than the ones I've seen out west. I promise you, you'd be impressed. Plus, there's no stigma attached to living in one in Ohio like there is out here. I never thought twice about it, the house was really nice.
The trailer court wasn't half bad either, it had a swimming pool alongside a rock quarry "lake" to swim in, lots of places to ride my bike and a shuffle board court. My sister and I even got a paper route. Well, Jenn had it officially as her own at first, but she felt so bad asking for people to pay up, I started to do the collecting for her and when Mom found out she made me Jenn's official partner and I started delivering papers too. We got to know a lot of the residents that way. Plus, you really stick out when you're 8 and everyone else is over 60. I got all the lemonade and cookies I wanted, it was like I had 20 sets of grandparents. I used to go pick wildflowers and give the flowers to my favorite residents. They were all so sweet (except for one guy who would yell at Jenn and I whenever we'd ride by on our bikes--which we responded to by biking up onto his driveway any chance we got--but even he too eventually warmed up to us). But living in a senior citizen trailer court isn't as bad as you'd think when you're 8.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I have to admit that I loved living in a trailer court full of old people. They were mostly nice to us and gave us stuff all the time. The rock quarry had the biggest carp i had ever seen in my life. It's funny, erin, because mom and i were telling adam just last night about the time that dad jumped into the quarry with his glasses on and we always thought that one of those monstrous carp ate them!

Kathleen said...

I remember thinking how cool it was that you had a booth for your table. It was like a restaurant! I also remember seeing it at Christmas time when they decorated the place with lights. Somehow I never really knew it was just full of old people.

Amy said...

Erin! I can't believe it, I grew up in a old folks trailer park too! The only kids around were the ones that visited their grandparents in the summer. We also had a pool and get this, we also had a paper route! Wow we have to compare more notes! I remember all the wonderful grandparents I had and what a nice place it was (we moved when I was 12). My brothers and I started our own lawn mowing business for the cute little old ladies that didn't want to spend the 10 minutes to mow their tiny lawns. It was some of the best times of my life! I can't believe how much we have in common!