
It's been a week now since Owen William was born so I thought I better hurry and write his story down before sleep deprivation and two restless children totally melt my brain. Here's how it went down:
07:00 August 28th: I call AltaView Hospital to see if they have a bed and a nurse for me. Lucky for them, they did so I didn't have to march down there and go ape crazy on them.
08:00: I get hooked up to the oxycontin (did you know that's the same as pitocin??)
11:00: my water gets broken: let the fun times begin!!
12:00: Steve notices my contractions picking up on the monitor. He wants to help me any way he can (he was a very active participant in Justin's labor) and says this while rubbing my shoulder and making jokes. With a slight glare I tell him to not talk to me or touch me, I'm finding my happy place.
12:30: My doctor comes in for the first time to see how I'm doing, I'm at a 7.
13:15: The doctor comes back, I'm still at a 7. Grr.
13:40: I'm at a 9 and holding my own. The doctor says in 4 more contractions I should be ready to push and then everyone leaves (one last potty break???). On the 3rd contraction I HAVE to push. I tell Steve to call the doctor, he asks me where the little call button is. Surprisingly, I'm not very helpful, Steve goes out in the hall to get the doctor.
13:50: Everyone rushes back in, I'm totally pushing, (and they also think I'm very self sufficient because they have me hold my own legs!) but they get everything ready just in time and...
14:00: In 2 official pushes our little guy is born!! 6 lbs. 8 oz. 19 in.
Owen's birth, was by far, the best out of the 3. I had a much easier time with J's birth, than I ever did with Evan's, so I didn't really know what to expect the 3rd time around. Apparently though, a few things seemed to work in my favor. One, my pain tolerance was unexpectedly high due to my being in so much pain the past few weeks. Two, I had exercised almost my entire pregnancy and I think that helped my body out in that I was in way better shape this time and also, I just knew my body better. I was able to work with my contractions instead of against them. The pain, honestly, never felt like more than I could handle, and with that, I was able to really focus and breathe through them. It was awesome to feel so in control.
I still got a 2nd degree tear, so fun times there, and my muscle pain is still with me, just not as intense. However, even so, I still feel better after this delivery than with J's. I also think all of the many, many prayers in my behalf had a tremendous impact. When I give birth, I totally feel this strong connection to Heavenly Father, and He's always there backing me up. So, thanks to everyone who prayed and sent happy thoughts my way. I'm so happy to be done with this pregnancy and have my little Owen home with us!

7 comments:
Congratulations! I'm glad you had such a great experience. The best part is it's over and you now have a little bundle of perfection to love.
Yay! I was one of the ones who prayed for you! So glad things went so well. I hope ALL your pain goes away SOON! ***Hugs***
oh erin that is so so wonderful. we are so happy for you. i love that your story is not a horror tale. it's nice when everything actually work out pretty well. i hope the next yucky few weeks go fast. every day is a victory huh? take care babe
Congratulations, Erin! I love his name - so cute. I want more pictures...when you're feeling up to it of course.
Glad your little one is here. You have a cute little family.
Owen is sooo cute. Way to go! I'm a little jealous =)
You are woman hear you roar! You kicked some serious trash! I'm glad he's finally here!
Post a Comment