We all have brain dead moments, they are natural and occur more frequently depending on the number of children you have and the older you get. Things like putting the peanut butter in the fridge (ok, maybe some of you do this one for real, i don't know), accidentally grabbing the wrong toothbrush, making an appointment then forgetting completely about it, stuff like that. Well, I have those moments too, but lately it has been one after the other. It started on Sunday when I went to make stew in the crockpot. It's a pretty simple recipe: potatoes, carrots, meat, onion, soup and some spices. Nothing complex, right? So, why, for the 2nd time in a row did I forget the onion??? And the worst part was, since I knew I had forgotten it the last time I made this recipe, I kept thinking, get the onion out, get the onion out, and well, yeah, I still forgot. Poor Steve, had to be disappointed by my cooking yet again!
So, on Monday, I need to go to the grocery store to get toilet paper because we seriously have like one roll left in the entire house. I decide, while I'm there, to get a few groceries. So, I get the groceries, load them in the car and realize--I didn't buy the TP! Luckily, thanks to a very nice sis who was watching my children, I'm able to quickly run back in and buy the needed item.
Now today, this one REALLY scared me. Justin had a BAD morning. Like, he cried and cried no matter what was going on, so not like my happy baby. So, later, after Steve leaves for work, he calls me to see how things are going, and asks me if I put Justin down for a nap because he can't hear him crying. He's like, you must have gotten sick of his crying and laid him down. And I'm like, oh yeah, I thought if I laid him down now I could have him take a short nap then make him take another nap while it's quiet and Evan is at preschool. And I just go on about my reasoning for like another minute or two, then I hear it: a noise from a baby toy downstairs. I look down the steps from the hallway, and oh yeah, there's Justin, playing with a toy. I did NOT lay him down, I had only THOUGHT about laying him down, but then decided against it. Hmm. I told Steve about my mistake, and he's like, uhhhhh, ok....Like, I was a crazy person who made things up, which is truly what I felt like at that moment! Wah! I'm loosing it people. Please say you'll come feed me pudding when they put me away...
14 years ago

8 comments:
sounds like you need a girls night out or something away from your family. too bad i live in another state and can't help. sorry.
Oh dear! We have all had days like that, you're definitely not alone. Hey... at least Justin was alive and not screaming any more. At the end of some days, when Rick asks how things went, I say, "Everyone is alive" and leave it at that. I'll just throw this out there... is there a reason that your brain cells are slowing deminoshing right now?
There have been a few times when I went to check on Nicole and had a moment of panic when I didn't see her where I thought I left her only to realize that I put her somewhere else!
I'll feed you pudding but I WILL NOT change your diapers!!!!
I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in these things. I can't tell you how many times a day I do a head count and say, "Where's the other one?"
hmmm...pregnant maybe? I love having that excuse right now!!
you should just tell evan everything you need to remember. that kid has an elephant's memory!
You really have to wonder why this happens to ALL mothers! You would think that God would want us smarter and more alert while taking care of our children. Instead with every pregnancy comes the diminishing of the brain cells with no recovery in sight. They say blueberries help, but do they really? I eat them all the time and still find myself in situations similar to those you described.
Post a Comment