The less you do! Here are some of the differences I've noticed in how I handle things the more kids I have:
Bathtime:
Child #1: gets a bath every night, complete with special soap and lotion afterwards.
Child #2: gets a bath every couple of nights
Child #3: is lucky to get a bath once a week, which may or may not include soap...
Floortime:
Child #1: has a blanket laid down before he gets put on the newly vacuumed floor
Child #2: gets put on the couch because mommy is too lazy to lay down a blanket
Child #3: gets put straight down on the carpet that hasn't been vacuumed in weeks
Crying:
Child #1: at the first sign mommy is there and will continue to hold him even if he doesn't stop wailing
Child #2: has to wait a few minutes, but will still get picked up
Child #3: is currently carried around constantly, but if continues to cry, too bad! gets put down
Diaper Changes:
Child #1: gets changed constantly whether he's really wet or not and instantly if he's poopy
Child #2: probably gets changed 3 to 5 times a day, might have to wait a few minutes if poopy
Child #3: must have wet through his clothes or have a loud poopy before being changed
Pumping:
Child #1: sucks
Child #2: still sucks
Child #3: sucks to the point if anyone offers to nurse my child mommy would rather take them up on it than pump
I'm sure you all have your own revelations about how things have changed from child #1 to child # whatever you are on, please feel free to share! And go us mommies!!!
14 years ago

8 comments:
Those are all SOOOO true! The bath and diaper one especially. Another one for me was: Child one: gets put to bed at bedtime and never taken out even when crying. Child Two: Gets put to bed at bedtime, but checked on when crying or fussy, child three: doesn't get put to bed on a normal bedtime until 4 months old, gets checked on if a couch or whimper comes out of their mouth.
With some it may be the oppostie, but it seems like the more children we have, the more we want to spend one on one time with them at night! So we find excuses to go get them out of bed:)
That is so true! I also used to sweep after every meal and/or snack with #1, about once a day with #2, and #3 was allowed to eat any Cheerios or crackers that fell on the floor because I was lucky if I swept once a week.
That is so funny!!! I was just thinking about the same thing the other day. Sometimes I go days before I realize I haven't bathed Kaden in who knows how long!
This was awesome. I loved the "special soap"...hilarious.
I wonder how my grandmother did with 12 children? We got the dog so I don't have to clean up the floor so much!
ha ha ha!
I LOVE it, its so true!
This must be why Child #3 (in any family) is always the most well-adjusted, happy, laidback, socially and emotionally stable child in the family. (You know my theory about being the third child...)
Sounds like you're doing a great job, Erin. I'd have to say my Child #4 gets about the same as Child #3 in terms of the areas you noted. Just in case you were worried how awful things will be if/when you have more kids. I guess it can't get much worse, right?! Heh heh. I love your closing statement -- your little cheer for us all!
lol you and I have had many conversations about this before. Erik is the most neglected, yet most spoiled child i have! the other 2 spoil him like crazy. he is probably my dirtiest child as well. hehe
Post a Comment