Monday, August 10, 2009

Pain in the Butt

It would probably be more interesting to blog about my cute kids right now, but really, all's I can think about is myself right now! Sad, but true. I've had a pretty good couple of months with this pregnancy so I was probably thinking I could get away with anything, when it hit me: pain! Pain down my lower back, butt and into my left thigh. Walking was suddenly killer, bending over, picking things up, carrying small children-- impossible! What? I'm not unstoppable? What will I do with my nesting instinct now? I went from scrubbing floors and cleaning out the fridge to trying to just sit as much as possible during the day and not even putting so much as a dish away. So disheartening. I cried to my wonderful and sympathetic OBGYN on Friday saying I could not live with this pain for the next 3 weeks. So, he recommended I see a physical therapist. I was able to get an appointment for Monday so I went today. She said I had really tight hamstrings and it was aggravating my sciatic nerve, but it was mostly my muscles that were causing all the pain. She worked with me, gave me exercises to do and papers on how to sit up, roll over and wag my tail properly. (Ok, not the last one!) It seems I've been breaking a lot of bending over, twisting, rolling over you name it rules. No wonder I hurt so bad, it's like I had forgotten how to move properly. My back is all taped up too. I feel about 60% better and hope, with time and exercises, to continue to improve. It was nice to get some hope back. I'm not good with chronic pain. Now I just have to "take it easy" and remember to pivot and not twist, bend with my knees, not my waist and sit with support and my feet on the floor ect. I can do it!! And I better end this blog because this computer chair is killing my back!!!!

5 comments:

Amy said...

The best is when you get to lay on your stomach again! Pregancy is for real women!

mintifresh said...

Pregnancy sucks. I am sorry! Almost, there, girl, almost there!

Sass said...

that stinks! I am so sorry! Just keep telling yourself....last baby...last baby!!

The Conductor said...

"I'm not good with chronic pain" -- I like that one. If it makes you feel better, I can't think of anyone who is. Hang in there. I've been praying for you, my Erinkins! Good luck with everything.

robin said...

ugh. i had the same thing when i was pregnant with macy. i went to a physical therapist as well and it helped.

have you thought about getting a massage? i did that when i had sciatic pain when i was pregnant with oliver and it totally helped. i should have been doing that the whole pregnancy!